Thursday, November 4, 2010

To my grandma...

For those of you who may not know my grandma passed away today. I got to talk with her only hours before she died. I am so thankful for the chance I had to let her know how much I love her. I had a wonderful grandma. She could do almost anything. She was tough and feisty yet gentle and caring. She started her life in humble beginnings and lived through the Great Depression. That broke a lot of people but I think it made her stronger. My grandma went through many struggles in her life but ultimately, I think, came out on top. My grandma helped me learn how to sew and quilt, how to can, how to take a terrible situation and see the best in it. I was very close to my grandma.
(front left is my grandma)

In high school I would go every Friday and mow grandma's yard. I was really busy but my mom told me that it would be a good thing to do and that not only would it make my grandma happy that it would make me happy. I started to go over and just do the yard after school and practice for about 1 1/2. It didn't take long for that 90 min to turn into 2-3 hours every Friday. Grandma would tell me stories and we would go through all of her family history research. She gave me advice and sometimes we just laughed about nothing. I not only thank my grandma for those wonderful times but I thank my mom for not letting me miss out on a beautiful experience.

 

My grandpa died about 18 years ago. My grandma has been her own since (she did have a lot of family around). She was a pretty independent and self sufficient. I remember not too long ago (maybe a year or so) she had a broken sprinkler that needed to be fixed. I went over to visit her and she had dug the thing up and fixed it. She was always doing things like that. I know that is where I get my tough stubbornness from. My grandma was not only a talented person, she was a very spiritual one too. My grandma taught me a lot about the gospel and with things that I have gone through in my life, without her loving guidance I think I would have struggled so much more. Grandma I thank you for your testimony. 



My grandma and grandpa were, and I think still are, so in love. I hope that someday Nick and I can have what they have. Grandma kept so many of grandpa's love letters and I know that she cherished them deeply. I remember grandma talking to me about love and her and grandpa and how she couldn't wait to be with him again. How she missed him so much. I always felt selfish because I wanted her to stay as long as she could. I find comfort in knowing that she is with my grandpa and that they are finally happy together as they should be.

Posted by Picasa
I just want to say that I am so thankful for my roots, who I am and where I came from. My grandma has played a huge role in my life and has taught me so many life lessons that I know I cannot forget. Grandma I will always love you and I know that you will always be here with me. I hold a special place in my heart for you and will miss you so very much!

Dawna Jane Herrud
September 8, 1923-November 4, 2010

3 comments:

The Roylances said...

Tori that was a beautiful post. Its hard to see them go, but to know they are in a better place and with their loved ones give so much comfort. I hope you are all doing well. Love you

Winder Family said...

I'm gonna miss her so much! :) I love all the pictures. Can you email me some? tjwinder17@gmail.com

Cami Eyre said...

Beautiful Tor! You're grandma was one of a kind! I hope you're doing alright...You and all of your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

P.S. Hopefully I'll be able to see you at the funeral